最受歡迎 30天 | Most Popular 30 days

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

What is the Law?

What is the Law?
Here is WH Auden, struggling to define law, like love, by reference to anything but itself:
Law, say the gardeners, is the sun,
Law is the one
All gardeners obey
Tomorrow, yesterday, to-day.
Law is the wisdom of the old,
The impotent grandfathers feebly scold;
The grandchildren put out a treble tongue,
Law is the senses of the young.
Law, says the priest with a priestly look,
Expounding to an unpriestly people,
Law is the words in my priestly book,
Law is my pulpit and my steeple.
Law, says the judge as he looks down his nose,
Speaking clearly and most severely,
Law is as I’ve told you before,
Law is as you know I suppose,
Law is but let me explain it once more,
Law is The Law.
(W H Auden: ‘Law, like Love’)

No comments:

Post a Comment